Managing Gout Starts at the Doctor’s Office

Ready to start managing your gout? You may be wondering what kind of doctor you should see.

Types of Health Care Providers that Treat Gout

There are several options, including:

  • Primary care physician or advanced practice provider: This is usually the first stop for patients. These providers can diagnose patients or refer them to a specialist.
  • Rheumatologist: A rheumatologist is a physician who specializes in treating inflammatory disease, like gout and other forms of arthritis
  • Nephrologist: A nephrologist is a physician who treats kidney diseases. Having kidney disease can increase the risk of gout. 
  • Podiatrist: A podiatrist specializes in the treatment of disorders of the foot, ankle and leg.

What to Expect

Each of these doctors can perform a physical examination and ask about your symptoms, family history and medical conditions. They may also ask questions about your diet, alcohol consumption and lifestyle. It is important to answer these questions honestly so they can provide you with the best diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

It’s also important that you show up to your appointment prepared. Bring notes and questions to help guide the conversation. 

  • Bring notes on:
    • When your last gout attack started and how long it lasted
    • How long you have been experiencing attacks
    • Family history
    • Current medications
  • Ask your doctor:
    • What causes gout?
    • What kinds of treatments are available?
    • What kinds of tests do I need to have done?
    • Does gout increase my risk of other health conditions?
    • What support is available for gout patients?

You can download and print this checklist to help.

It’s never too late to start managing your gout. Treatment can help you regain your quality of life, and talking to a supportive community will remind you that you are not alone in your journey.